Saturday, November 19, 2011

Impressions with using my Windows 8

I have been using Windows 8 Preview at home every day for a while. I have not really developed any applications for it yet, so far I am using it to access web sites, read emails and play with Metro applications that are built in.

The biggest reason that I use it as the main one at home is for its start-up speed and overall performance. I do not leave computer running over the night when I am not using it, so I need the machine to boot very fast and Windows 8 does.

However, I cannot get rid of my Windows 7 desktop at all simply because the Windows 8 is only at Preview now. I can install most applications I need on Windows 8, but some are not running right. I spent a couple of hours trying to get all my apps into Windows 8, but I gave up after knowing that installation completion did not mean it was working.

I found a fabulous free software called Mouse without Borders. It allowed me to control my Windows 7 desktop and my Windows 8 with one mouse and one keyboard. I used Synergy when I only have Windows 7 and Windows XP, but it is not working on Windows 8. With MwB, it really becomes a joy to access both OS now.

I do feel two inconvenience with Windows 8 though:
  • Switch back and forth between Metro style and Desktop style. Most time I am using Desktop style but when I look for an installed application, I often have to go to Metro style. I started to "pin" more and more apps to avoid that.
  • Shutdown. For some reason, the Settings Charm lost shutdown feature -- it has to be a bug, it was working fine for the first 1 month. Now I have to either Control-Alt-Delete or use command "shutdown /s" to shut it down. I miss the simple shutdown in Windows 7. (Note on 11/22 - today the shutdown charm works right again after being a problem for 2 weeks)
Overall, it is a pleasure to use it on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment